Mental Health First Aid (2 Day)
The online MHFA course consists of learning via a dedicated online hub, using videos, quizzes and utilising your comprehensive manuals. Like first aid for physical health, Mental Health First Aid gives you the tools to help assess, react and respond to a person in crisis, bolster your own mental health, and support recovery. With real-life case studies for you to solve this a practical and bottom line solution to mental health in the workplace, as well as your homes and communities.
Qualify as a Mental Health First Aider on the two day Adult course delivered over 2 days in bite-sized modules. We will go on a journey through the Mental Health spectrum to gain an understanding of the signs and symptoms of mental ill health, and create some tools in our box to deal with emergency situations. We will also look at the wider picture of stigmas and language used and helpful ways to dispel the myths. Useful to you, your family, friends and in the work place.
This qualification teaches delegates to be workplace Mental Health First Aiders, who will be able to recognise the signs and symptoms of common workplace mental health issues and know how to effectively guide a person towards the right mental health support.
On this course delegates will gain:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental illness
- An understanding of how to perform some physical first aid as part of their response to mental illness
- The confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Knowledge on how to implement reasonable mental health adjustments when an individual returns to work
- The skills to create a positive mental health culture in the workplace
The course is divided as follows:
- What is mental health?
- Anxiety and depression
In each section you’ll learn how to:
- Spot the early signs of a mental health problem
- Feel confident about helping someone experiencing a mental health problem
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Help prevent someone from hurting themselves or others
- Help stop a mental illness from getting worse
- Help someone recover faster
- Guide someone towards the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental health problems
Who Should Attend
This course is for anyone who is committed to supporting their organisation as a Mental Health First Aider. If you would like to learn more about mental health but cannot meet the commitments outlined below, we would recommend you attend the Mental Health First Aid Half Day or one day Mental Health Champion the course.
On completion of training, you will be a qualified MHFAider for your organisation.
This course can be delivered through the MHFA England Online Learning Hub over four half day sessions, with self-learning activities in between, or a face-to-face classroom based delivery over two whole days.
Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions, and workshop activities.
Course participants are limited to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Everyone who completes the course will receive:
- A certificate of attendance to say you are a Mental Health First Aider
- A manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A quick reference card for the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health