All investigators must adhere to the rules of disclosure, yet it is still common for prosecutions to fail due to non-compliance with the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996 and common law.
Failed prosecutions are often associated with non-compliance with this legislation via its link to Article 6 of the Human Rights Act, which is concerned with the right to a fair trial and the opportunity to prepare for a proper defence. Appropriate training reduces the risk of failed prosecutions and their consequences in terms of costs, compensation claims, forced disclosure of sensitive information, and reputational harm.
Our disclosure training course is for anyone involved in an investigative function which may result in criminal proceedings. This includes officers, managers, and support staff.
Attendees will have the opportunity to thoroughly examine this legislation and how it impacts all aspects of the investigative process, from the commencement of a case to court proceedings.
At the end of the course students will be able to:
- Conduct investigations in compliance with appropriate legislation – CPIA 1996 and common law
- Perform the role of a disclosure officer in accordance with the ‘relevancy test’
- Comply with quality standards demanded by CPS, courts, defence and partner agencies
- Prepare case papers with a cohesive and uniform approach, thereby avoiding failure, bad practice and reputable damage
- Facilitate good practice and improve successful prosecutions
- 1 to 4 days
RSL deliver bespoke disclosure training at basic and advanced levels:
- Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996
- The role of a disclosure officer Common law Attorney
- General Guidelines Streamline disclosure
- Magistrates court
- Third-party material Defence case statements
- Alibi witness
- Transforming Justice
- Crown Court Role of CPS
- File submissions
- Dealing with solicitors
- Stated cases
- Police Immigration
- Local Authorities
- Central Government
- Private Organisations
- Social Services
- National Crime Agency / CEOP
- Any Investigative Body
Please note, this course is not for individuals. We only deliver this course to organisations with 5 or more delegates.